It took a few weeks but we finally got the TiVo back online and connected to our local cable service. I discovered that changing sources on the TiVo is tricky. Most of the work was in finding the right menu option for “I’ve moved”. It’s under Messages & Setup -> System Reset -> Repeat Guided Setup. Not something I would have guessed from clicking around. I had to dig up and read the dead trees manual to figure it out. Thankfully, the process didn’t wipe out my network settings, so the TiVo connected through the home network just fine. The other trick with moving is that all the channel numbers change, so you have to re-do your Season passes. Program My TiVo is down for the moment, but should be back up once I re-config the tv guide data for my new cable system.